Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Leader of the Pack

I'm learning a new language. I'm learning how to speak dog. It's a rather fascinating language. Fortunately there aren't many words to learn, only one, "BAHHHH" said in a deep low growl. I'm also learning how to air snap (or bite in the air) to "threaten" Tiger in her own language to show her I AM THE LEADER OF THE PACK! To accomplish that I have a little bean bag with a chain inside to imitate the sound when it hits the floor. I'm using my body language to communicate with Tiger Lily and learning how to read her so I can expect and prevent any unwanted behavior. After one training session I can get her to sit, stay, and wait until I tell her to come, all with an open door to the outside. Which is a huge accomplishment for us. Now if I can just get her to stop stealing food off the table and jumping up on everybody, we'll be in good shape.

Brooklyn and Sadie are quick learners too, they are now expert growlers and growl at each other. Funny story when our trainer was over I had a friend helping watch my girls for me so I could focus my attention on the trainer and the dog. My friend had her own little girl and was watching another friends little boy in addition to my two. Needless to say I love her and appreciate her so much! As we were growling and throwing our bean bag at Tiger's feet, I was worried all the loud growling would scare the kids especially the little boy, Wes. Instead each time we growled and tossed the bean bag, Wes let out the deepest belly laugh. We were all rolling it was so cute and hard to keep a deep low growl.

It's going to be a lot of hard work to continue to establish my dominance in this household, but slowly and surely its coming along. Just you wait, I WILL be the Leader of the Pack!