Here I sit in the quiet solitude of my home at 12:54am. Relishing in the alone time that is seldom truly mine. I rode my exercise bike while watching Looney Tunes in an attempt to relieve and rebuild sore muscles from my weight lifting yesterday. No, it's not a New Year's resolution to get back in shape. I have yet to actually resolve to do anything for any particular new year. I try to resolve them as they come. But it is definitely time to get exercising regularly for my own sanity, physically, mentally and emotionally.
After a much needed bike ride, some fun abdominal work that I was reading about and trying from a new Strength Training Anatomy book I purchased over Christmas break and watching Animal Planet, I'm now in front of my computer making sure I didn't miss the temperature drop below 0 Degrees. Which I just checked it is now -4 degrees Fahrenheit out my kitchen window. Maybe now I can go to bed. Why do I like to check the weather? I don't know. I could get it from my dad or maybe it is something that is constantly changing. (I mean, I'm in Michigan it seriously changes from tornadoes to the most beautiful sunny day in less than 5 minutes!) I also wanted to make sure I got caught up on Facebook. I don't know if I should thank or hit my two friends that talked me into signing up for Facebook. It has literally become a lifeline for me, a connection with the outside world. Reminding me of fun times, hard times, great friends, and even greater friends who help you get through the hard times but you somehow lost touch over the years.
I'm grateful for technology it has made the world truly seem like such a smaller place. That I am closer to friends now than I have been for years. Though thankfully I never lost touch with my best friend. One who has always been there for me, long before we ever "dated" and who has always shown genuine love and concern for me, my wonderful husband Eric. As I watch my sweet husband struggle with the challenges medical school brings, I sit back in awe for I could not do it. It takes a special kind of person, one who I am lucky enough to be married to. January 10th was the day Eric proposed to me, it was six years ago! How quickly time has passed and all the ways I'd mapped my life out to be have been rewritten hundreds of times already and play out in ways I never dreamed would happen.
The challenges of being a wife and a mother. Challenges I always knew I was going to tackle. It was probably a good thing I didn't think about how I was going to go about rearing my children. Because right now I'm flying by the seat of my pants, grasping at straws trying to catch something to help me teach and raise my beautiful daughters. I learn so much about me through my children sometimes it's scary to see.
I can see the moon out the skylight that is frosted over in my front room. How beautiful the sky is when it is so clear and stars are shining brightly for all the world to see. Yet it is in the quiet stillness of the midnight hour when the light of the moon touches upon the glistening snow that I have a moment to let myself go and unwind to enjoy the majestic beauty of the world I live in. To try and let my worries drift off like the blowing snow and take a few minutes of some much needed peace and freezing this peaceful moment in time.
3 comments:
Very poignant Natalie. Your midnight musings are profound.
Are you sure you didn't major in English? You are very eloquent! Much more fun to read than my textbooks... (not that I read them anyway)
Lovely my dear. I love and miss you!
Post a Comment