Monday, August 9, 2010

Zombieland & Philadelphia, Not Related


Ever have those days where all you do is sit at the computer with your kids in front of the tv and wait for something to happen, like get an email or a facebook comment? That's where I've been at all day today. I have done nothing. I have yet to get dressed and just want to go back to sleep. I must be trying to recover from the weekend trip to Pennsylvania for Eric's exam and gearing up for the next few weeks ahead. Traveling with kids can be so exhausting!

Pennsylvania was fun. The girls and I went to the Please Touch museum in Philadelphia while Eric took his exam. As we were leaving the museum I saw signs to the Philadelphia zoo and followed them. I must be crazy. I had dragged Sadie out of the museum screaming "go the other way!" meaning back into the museum, then find myself following signs to the zoo and pull into the parking lot. Sure enough I got both exhausted girls out of the car and went into the zoo. Nevermind that we had just wandered all over a museum for the last 4-5 hours. Let's go do some more! I rented a stroller figuring the girls could rest their weary legs and I could zip around the zoo. Eric called shortly after we began exploring the zoo and caught a cab and met us there after his test. I love animals and think we all had a good time.

I think the biggest adventure was getting ice cream. It was so hot it was in the 90's and high humidity that day. I got each of us some ice cream. I got a cone knowing I could eat it before it got too messy and ordered the girls each one in a cup knowing this would not be as messy. WRONG! The "cup" was a flimsy plastic bowl with more soft serve ice cream in it than there was capacity to hold in the bowl! We had runny, drippy, sticky ice cream everywhere, clothes, blankies, strollers, hands, arms, legs! I had to stop every few minutes to pour ice cream out of the girls bowls. We left a drippy trail and little ice cream piles in the bushes around that end of the zoo. Sadie was wearing a nice layer of twist ice cream all over her clothes and Brooklyn had a small layer of vanilla on her blankie. It was a disaster. I should have taken a picture but I was covered in ice cream. I certainly didn't grab enough napkins. All in all we had a good time.

I was shocked at the petting zoo. They had the FATTEST goats I have ever seen. I asked if they were pregnant and they said that they weren't. That it was just air from their 4 chamber stomach. Seriously they were almost wider than they were long. Note the blurry head of Sadie. I think she brushed every goat there and used every brush in the bucket. She was running around like crazy trying to get it all in. You can kind of see the ice cream all over her shirt if you look really closely.
I really wanted to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and all the other American history sites that Philadelphia has in abundance, but how do you do that with a 3 and 4 year old? Here let's go to a place where you have to stand in line to look at some bell that doesn't ring and you can't touch. It just didn't even sound like something I wanted to attempt so we didn't. We did however explore Valley Forge where General George Washington camped for the winter to keep an eye on the Brits in Philly. It was fun to see his headquarters and walk the home he stayed in. The chapel where Washington attended was beautiful. The stained glass windows in the chapel all seemed to depict the history of the declaration. It was beautiful. The woodwork was ornate and had a few mosaics of Washington in the bell tower, along with the Justice Bell. A bell that is almost identical to the Liberty Bell except for an added inscription (of which I can't remember at the moment) that women took around the country to use as a rally for their right to vote.

If you ask Brooklyn what her favorite part about our trip to Pennsylvania was she'll tell you it was the playground at the airport. Nevermind the museum or the zoo, it was the airport playground. It was airport themed with a control tower and a working intercom between the tower and the plane. It was pretty cool, but cooler than the Please Touch museum? I guess so.

No comments: