Here's just a glimpse of what goes on before Match day happens. First off, after deciding what kind of doctor you want to be you begin researching out the residency specialties and programs, then start applying for your favorite programs, hoping you'll get offered an interview. Then going through numerous interviews, hospital tours, wining and dining, you begin reflecting back on each program and your interview experience and finally having to rank the programs you would like to go to. Meanwhile the programs that you have interviewed with are also ranking you alongside the other applicants.
The programs can communicate with you if you are "very likely" "likely" "somewhat likely" or "not likely" to match with them. You as the applicant can say the same thing back to the program but are not allowed to say where you ranked one another. Then the deadline day for you to submit your rankings (about a month ago) and a month of waiting for a computer generated formula to determine your future and medical residency.
This is not a perfect system. It's more like a lottery really. There is the possibility that you will not match with any of the programs you applied to. If that's the case they have what's called a "scramble" where you and the programs are scrambling to fill all the available spots. All this will take place on Monday when you find out your destiny.
I think we are really hoping we'll match with our nearby hospital and program as that would allow us to stay where we are for four more years. If we don't we will move. The hours that residents are required to work and the short time off some places its 30 hours on and 10 off, having to commute an hour and a half each way is not conducive to living or having a family. We will definitely move so Eric won't have to drive far. I really don't want to be a widow and have gone through this lovely process of medical school for nothing. Although as much fun as it was to move with a 2 month old last time, I'd rather not. So I think I'm REALLY hoping to stay put. But it's not up to me.
So stay tuned for our Valentine's day/Match day our destiny is in the hands of a computer post sometime next week!
3 comments:
I'm hoping for South Bend, Indiana! C'mon...it's not that far! ;) Actually...I'm just hoping you guys will be happy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Oh I remember it well! It's awfully frustrating that your future lies in the hands of a computer algorithm isn't it? And I hate to tell you, but your years as a widow are not over. You are just moving up from "no paycheck" to "measly paycheck" status. Sorry! BUT, though residency was one of the hardest things, it was also one of the funnest and growth-filled times we had together, so don't dread it. I'm anxious to hear how it goes for you! What specialty did Eric pick?
I am hoping for Mesa Az! :)
Post a Comment