Friday, February 13, 2009

Consistency of Change

Many things have been changing around me lately. Some of the changes I've been experiencing lately have been dear friends moving, flowers blooming, children growing, dog actually being obedient, snow melting, snow falling, weight changing, sometimes sleeping sometimes not, freezing temperatures to 60's, to name just a few.

The older I get the more I realize the only consistent thing around me is change. I was thinking about the beauty of my gardenia plant and how if it wasn't constantly changing I would never appreciate the moments when it is blossoming out in all it's glory. Then I began to compare that to life. Without change I wouldn't grow, I wouldn't blossom, I wouldn't thrive. I cannot stay in the same place, if I did I'd die. I am like my plants, I am constantly changing whether I'm out in full bloom or preparing for winter. I don't think I've realized how subtly the change occurs especially in myself. I look at where I am now compared to 6 months ago and yes I am a different person, I have changed. For better or worse it has yet to be determined. As I go from day to day life rearing my children you see how quickly their little bodies and minds are growing and changing. Each day there is something new, some new discovery, a new word, a new physical ability, a new challenge to master.

Where would I be without change? I don't know. I guess as the world changes, as people touch my life for good and then move I learn that I need to take advantage of every day as if it were my last and make sure I listen and try to say the things in my heart. The hardest part is expressing it. I feel like I am preparing to blossom, that I've been weathering the hard harsh winter and spring is around the corner. I'm ready for spring. My roots are deeper, I've being watered and am constantly being sprinkled with love through family and friends I'm being strengthened and I've grown and am preparing to blossom, meaning there is still a lot of room to grow! I just hope it happens soon! I'm ready for Spring. Ready to move beyond this winter that has lasted inside me for more than a year. Bring on the sunshine!

4 comments:

Anny Case said...

Spring IS on the horizon -- I can feel it. Beautiful post.

Richard said...

again, WHY weren't you an Englsih major?!

Richard said...

Haha, I mean English major! This is why I'm not an English major...

Cherice said...

Soooo true. Change seems to be the ONLY thing one can count on these days!