Today we went to our local High School's homecoming parade. It was perfect it lasted only 30 minutes. There was a marching band (the first one I've actually seen in a parade the whole time we've been here), "floats" not by Utah standards but pretty good for Michigan, a representation of freshman, sophomores, juniors and senior classes, cheerleaders, different clubs and sports teams and a few middle school teams.
I popped a huge bowl of popcorn for us to enjoy as we watched the parade so we were well prepared in case the parade wasn't too exciting as most have been here in mid-Michigan. Brooklyn managed to throw a handful of grass into the bowl before the parade even started so on occassion when you grabbed a handful of popcorn you'd get a little extra fiber from the grass. Once the parade started the popcorn was completely forgotten about.
I think the part that we enjoyed the most was the HUGE amount of candy we got in 30 minutes time. You'd think we'd been trick or treating already! I weighed it when we got home and we had 4 pounds of candy! The whole parade we were gathering candy as fast as we could with some hitting us in the head as we were busy gathering. Sadie had about 8 suckers in one hand, and another fist full of gum, taffy and whatever else she could fit in her hand. She wouldn't put anything in the bag until well after the parade was over.
Brooklyn on the other hand has caught the spirit of parades. Wave at the people, they throw candy to you, you go pick it up, put it in your bag, and then wave some more. She was loving it! Though she really didn't have to do much waving. We were in a spot by ourselves and with two adorable little girls who could resist throwing them candy! Sadie would just gather it and cling to it, then step on the next piece hoping somehow she'd figure out how to pick it up. When I thought she couldn't fit anymore in her hand she managed to move her pointer finger and get one more piece in there. It was great.
Brooklyn, Sadie, and I also went to the Homecoming Game with the Okemos Chieftans v.s. Jackson Whatever's (I don't know what their mascot was was). We went with our dear friend Cassie Q. We arrived with 10 minutes and 22 seconds left in the 4th quarter. Ended up getting a bag of popcorn as we were finding our seats from a band member who had to go play his instrument. Sadly Okemos lost the game 21-7. But the girls had a great time. It has gotten really cold the last few days so we were all bundled up in our winter coats.
Every time I look at the massive amount of candy I start to shake my head and wonder why I bought Halloween candy! I definitely will be using some of the candy in my own trick-or-treat bowl...at least all the pieces I don't like. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment