Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Uncle John's & My Major Award

The girls and I went with Megan & Brielle Finlay, and Wes Fletcher to Uncle John's Cider Mill a few weeks ago. A quick note about Megan. Brooklyn, Sadie, & I all adore her. The girls would much rather have Megan hold them up to see what's going on than me. Brooklyn and Sadie were fighting for a spot on Megan's lap. It happens all the time when we do things together. I am grateful for Megan because she is so willing to play and help take care of my kids when they want to see. Thanks Megan!!

Back to Uncle John's...

They have the most delicious apple cider on earth. I love it. There is nothing like it. The thing I enjoy most about Uncle John's is that you get to see them make the cider right before your eyes. You get to ride in a tractor drawn wagon around the apple orchard, go in the barn where the cider press is, watch the apples be dumped into the washing bin, up the ramp and into the press. In goes the apples, out goes the excess pulp and seeds, you see the cider flowing freely down into the storage container and then the cider is placed into gallon or half gallon jugs. You can buy it at the counter along with some yummy homemade donuts. Brooklyn and Sadie were both fascinated by the moving machinery. Just the aroma of the delicious apples and freshly baked donuts wafting through the door as you enter the barn is enough to tempt the senses. Oh it's so good! I bought a gallon of cider from the grocery store today and it just doesn't compare. I don't think I'll be able to finish it, I've been spoiled with the real pure stuff. It isn't even pasteurized, that's how pure it is (so the young and old don't drink too much!) : )


Another great thing about Uncle John's is it's the only place that I can actually win something. Last year I entered a contest online through our local news station and won a free pumpkin! I had to go and collect it because I NEVER win anything that comes down to chance. Miraculously it happened again this year! Two years in a row I've won a major award. Now I just need to go and claim this years pumpkin, get some more cider and a few donuts and call it good. Next time anyone wants to try some REAL cider come out next September/October and you can enjoy it with me! Unless that is you don't want to know what you are missing.

1 comment:

RaShawn said...

It sounds so good. My mouth was watering while I was reading.